Despite the trends, autumn flavors span beyond “pumpkin spice” (which really means allspice/cinnamon/cloves and nutmeg). Autumn also is perfect for… Italian frangipane!
What is it? Pronounced, fran·gi·pane, it’s a flavorful almond cream filling. This almond tart is perfectly sweet for those crisp fall days. Top it with sliced apples or pears arranged in an impressive, but easy fan design and guests will think you’ve baked for hours just for them.
Don’t be intimidated by the name if it’s new to you. This aromatic, delicious tart will have your family or guests calling you, “mastro pasticciere!” (master baker!)
Have fun making this simple dessert and send us your pictures to our Facebook!
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cups oil
- Sift together all dry ingredients
- Mix in wet and kneed until firm dough
- Roll into desired pie/ tart pan
Par bake crust 325* for 10-12 minutes
5 ounces almond paste
1/3 cup sugar
4 ounces butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- On a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, combine almond paste, sugar, and 1 egg
- Mix until smooth
- Add butter, vanilla, and lemon juice
- Scrape bowl, then add dry ingredients and remaining egg
- Top with sliced apples or pears in a fan design
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired
Bake 325* for 18-20 minutes approximately or until golden brown on top.